- 1 Large Butternut Squash, about 3 punds, halved & seeded
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 Pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 6 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried sage
- 1 Teaspoon dried marjoram
- 6 Cups light chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream or half & half
- 2 Tablespoons butter
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining oil. When hot but not smoking add the sausage. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring until the onions are wilted and starting to carmelize, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic,sage & marjoram, and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the cooked squash and chicken stock. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
With hand held blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender, puree the soup. Add the cream and adjust seasoning to taste.
Six to eight servings.